Réservation :

02 96 22 37 67

chateau.boisgelin@orange.fr

Arrivée :
Nuits :
Personne(s) :

Welcome

Our Chef
Laurent SIMON

welcomes you
to the Restaurant of Domaine de Boisgelin
every lunch
(except Sunday afternoon and Monday)
and in the evening by reservation.

  Menu

History

Today, the Boisgelin Estate is an ensemble of great beauty that is open to everyone, the whole year round without exception. Come and enjoy this gem of our Breton heritage... whether you’re a golfer, a hiker or just in love with nature, our history and our old stones. Back from your excursions, we welcome you warmly to come and relax at the hotel.

The family
 
"The house of Boisgelin, native of Brittany, of which one member was president of the nobility of this province in the final states, brings together a large number of political and military figures, characteristics of the nobility of name and arms or ancient chivalry ". (Extract from the memoire ??by Mr. Cherin, made for the reception of Louis-Bruno, Count of Boisgelin in the order of the Holy Spirit, 1778). Boisgelin family members are present throughout the history of France. They actively participated in the conflicts of history, and took part in the Crusades as well as on the battlefield somewhat more recently: the siege of Rennes in 1341, at the sides of the Duchesse Anne in 1489, with Vauban in 1695, in Parma in 1734, at Fontenoy in 1745, in Saint Cast in 1758, in World War I and in World War II (in the Resistance and several deaths on the Flanders Fields) ... The family has held important positions in the French civil administration, in the military and the clergy of the country at different times: Coast Guard Captain General, Governor, Navy Captain, Musketeer, Maréchal de camp, Counsellor to the Parliament of Brittany, Président à mortier to the parliament of Brittany, President of the nobility to the States of Brittany, Ambassador in Parma, Bishop, Cardinal, Canoness, Peer of France, Plenipotentiary etc..
 
"It (the Boisgelin family) originates from Geoffroi, Viscount of Pléhédel, in the diocese of St. Brieuc, who lived in 1166, and to which this house goes back to by a proven and unbroken lineage" (M. Chevalier de Courcelles , Généalogie de la Maison de Boisgelin, Extracted from Volume III of l’Histoire généalogique et héraldique des Pairs de France, des Grands Officiers de la Couronne, des principales familles Nobles du royaume et des Maisons princière de l’Europe, 1823).

The grounds

As it has already been stated, the Boisgelin family originates from Geoffroi who lived in 1166 as Viscount of Pléhédel, in the diocese of Saint-Brieuc. The Boisgelin estate grounds are eponymous with the family of the same name.

Today, the Boisgelin Estate covers an area of ??over 400 hectares. The estate includes seven farms, a few dwellings and a beautiful forest. The part of the estate surrounding the château consists of a park of about a hundred hectares where there are still remains of remarkable feudal moats and fortifications. A county archaeological study showed that occupancy of one of the dwellings goes back to the early history period (about 400 hundred BC), a confirmation that we have always enjoyed living in our beautiful region! In the lower part of the park there is a manor house of the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries that was partly restored by the Marquis Gilles de Boisgelin. The manor house is a listed historic monument. The château of Boisgelin was converted into a hotel by the Marquis Gilles de Boisgelin in 1982 at the same time as a golf course was opened to the public. The tourism enterprise continues to this day while respecting a pricing policy affordable to all. Michael, the son of Gilles de Boisgelin, has decided to continue his father’s work, promoting this magnificent Breton region and opening it to the public. Thanks to a 17th century painting depicting the appearance of the property at that time, the surroundings of manor house have been restored and significant work has been done to recreate the footpaths in the forest, the vegetable garden has been rendered to its original purpose and all masonry walls have been repaired. In addition, the abandoned former farm on the estate was converted into four cottages (approved by Gîtes de France or Clé Vacances) and substantial repairs were carried out in the château both at a structural level as well as in sanitation, heating, painting…